Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Zambia’s government takes possession of ex-president’s body in repatriation row

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterApril 23, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Zambian government has said it has taken possession of the body of former president Edgar Lungu – who died in South Africa 10 months ago – against the wishes of the family.

    It is the latest episode in a row over what should happen to his remains following a long-standing feud between Lungu and his successor, President Hakainde Hichilema.

    The government has maintained that as a former head of state he should be honoured in the country and buried alongside his predecessors in the special presidential burial ground in the capital, Lusaka.

    But Lungu’s family wanted a private burial after negotiations with the government over the funeral arrangements broke down.

    However, last August, a South African court ruled that Zambia’s government could repatriate the body and give him a state funeral.

    The family appealed against the decision but the body’s transfer follows their “inability to proceed with their case” at the appeals court, a statement from Zambia’s Attorney General Mulilo Kabesha said.

    Interviewed on a Zambian YouTube news channel on Wednesday evening, Lungu family spokesman Makebi Zulu disputed that the appeals process had lapsed saying that the correct procedure had been followed.

    The family’s lawyers have now made an urgent application to the high court in South Africa for the former president’s body to be returned to the funeral home where it was originally being kept.

    Lungu died of an undisclosed illness last June, aged 68, at a clinic in South Africa’s capital, Pretoria. He had led Zambia from 2015 until 2021, when he lost elections by a huge margin to Hichilema.

    The relationship between the two politicians had long been fraught, with Lungu’s family saying the former president had not wanted Hichilema to attend his funeral.

    But the Zambian government wanted Lungu’s remains to be repatriated and given a state funeral, with full state honours, which a South African court agreed to last year.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Zambia
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    ‘Not a big fan’ – Top Republican breaks with Trump on $1.8bn compensation fund

    May 20, 2026

    Thailand cuts visa-free stay period for more than 90 countries including UK

    May 20, 2026

    Arsenal champions as Man City draw at Bournemouth

    May 20, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    How to Use Fumitabs

    May 20, 2026

    How to Use FNB eBucks

    May 20, 2026

    How to Use Face Serum

    May 20, 2026

    Two Arrested, Sh4.2 Million Worth of Bhang Seized in Kilifi Anti-Drug Raid

    May 20, 2026

    Kenya Intensifies Ebola Preparedness as Regional Outbreak Raises Alarm

    May 20, 2026

    Three Kenyan youths arrested in Tanzania while headed for Mozambique to join ISIS group

    May 20, 2026

    Man dies in fire incident in Kirinyaga

    May 20, 2026

    Andrea Mitchell Net Worth and Salary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.