Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Canada, Mexico and China face tariffs on Saturday, White House says

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiFebruary 1, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Canada, Mexico and China face tariffs on Saturday, White House says
    Canada, Mexico and China face tariffs on Saturday, White House says
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    US President Donald Trump will impose tariffs on Saturday of 25% on Mexico, 25% on Canada and 10% on China, says the White House.

    White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the duties were in response to “the illegal fentanyl that they have sourced and allowed to distribute into our country, which has killed 10s of millions of Americans”.

    It is not yet clear whether the import taxes would include any exemptions on products such as oil.
    Trump said on Thursday the move also aimed to address the large amounts of undocumented migrants that have come across US borders as well as trade deficits with its neighbours.

    Ms Leavitt told a news briefing at the White House on Friday: “These are promises made and promises kept by the President.”

    During the election campaign, Trump threatened to hit Chinese-made products with tariffs of up to 60%, but held off on any immediate action on his first day back in the White House, instead ordering his administration to study the issue.

    US goods imports from China have flattened since 2018, a statistic that economists have attributed in part to a series of escalating tariffs that Trump imposed during his first term.

    Earlier this month, a top Chinese official warned against protectionism as Trump’s return to the presidency renews the threat of a trade war between the world’s two biggest economies – but did not mention the US by name.

    Addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Ding Xuexiang, Vice Premier of China, said his country was looking for a “win-win” solution to trade tensions and wanted to expand its imports.

    China, Canada and Mexico are the top US trading partners, accounting for 40% of the goods imported into the US last year, and fears are rising that the new steep levies could kick off a major trade war as well as push up prices in the US.

    Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Friday: “It’s not what we want, but if he moves forward, we will also act.”

    Canada and Mexico have already said that they would respond to US tariffs with measures of their own, while also seeking to assure Washington that they were taking action to address concerns about their US borders.

    If US imports of oil from Canada and Mexico are hit with levies it risks undermining Trump’s promise to bring down the cost of living.

    Tariffs are an import tax on goods that are produced abroad.

    In theory, taxing items coming into a country means people are less likely to buy them as they become more expensive.

    The intention is that they buy cheaper local products instead – boosting a country’s economy.

    But the cost of tariffs on imported energy could be passed on to businesses and consumers, which may increase the prices of everything from petrol to groceries.

    Around 40% of the crude that runs through US oil refineries is imported, and the vast majority of it comes from Canada.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Ecuador intelligence chief and wife among killed in Samburu chopper crash

    August 20, 2026

    Israel confirms soldiers fired at car in which Hind Rajab was killed and opens criminal investigation

    August 19, 2026

    Angélique Kidjo makes history for Africa with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

    August 19, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Ecuador intelligence chief and wife among killed in Samburu chopper crash

    August 20, 2026

    4 Americans among 7 dead in helicopter crash in Samburu Kenya

    August 20, 2026

    Man arrested in Kitui after police recover firearm from his house

    August 20, 2026

    Man drowns in septic tank while draining sewer waste in Marsabit

    August 20, 2026

    Five-year-old boy found dead in Mlolongo house in suspected poisoning

    August 20, 2026

    Govt resolves 3 decade long Cheluget land dispute in Narok

    August 20, 2026

    Israel confirms soldiers fired at car in which Hind Rajab was killed and opens criminal investigation

    August 19, 2026

    Equity Bank defies low rate regime to post Sh45.5 billion in six months*

    August 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.