Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    EAST AFRICA

    DR Congo and Rwanda vow to agree peace plan within days

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterApril 26, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo have signed an agreement to respect each other’s sovereignty and come up with a draft peace deal by 2 May.

    The deal was signed by the two countries’ foreign ministers in Washington, with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also present at Friday’s ceremony.

    Hundreds of thousands of civilians have been displaced in recent months as Rwanda-backed M23 rebels have seized swathes of mineral-rich territory in eastern DR Congo.

    After losing territory, the government in Kinshasa turned to the US for help in exchange for access to the minerals.

    Relations have been so poor between DR Congo and Rwanda that the meeting in Washington and a promise to resolve disputes through dialogue is a sign of progress.

    The text of the agreement says both sides now expect significant investments facilitated by the US government and private sector.

    Despite the talks, fighting reportedly continued on Friday in North Kivu province.

    Earlier this week, DR Congo and the M23 group said they were committed to peace, expressing hopes that a permanent ceasefire could be reached.

    Officials in eastern DR Congo say some 7,000 people have been killed there since January.

    The decades-long conflict has intensified since the start of the year when M23 staged an unprecedented offensive, seizing Goma and Bukavu – eastern Congo’s two largest cities – and sparking fears of a wider regional war.

    DR Congo accuses Rwanda of arming the M23 and sending troops to support the rebels in the conflict.

    Despite assertions from both the UN and US, Rwanda has denied supporting the M23.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    DR Congo Rwanda
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Tanzania suspends newspaper after report alleging gov’t divisions

    August 20, 2026

    JKUAT Invites Suppliers and Contractors to Register for 2026-2029

    August 11, 2026

    Nation Media Group resumes operations in Uganda after military ordered shutdown

    July 28, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Trump says Canada wants ‘benefits’ of being US state after trade talks collapse

    August 23, 2026

    Dozens of co-ordinated arson attacks hit southern Thailand

    August 23, 2026

    DR Congo and M23 rebels agree roadmap for peace talks

    August 23, 2026

    I’m Not a Sponsor: Uhuru Kenyatta Hits Back at Ruto Over Opposition Claims

    August 23, 2026

    Three suspects linked to highway robberies arrested in Mtito Andei

    August 23, 2026

    (PICS) Erling Haaland Unveils New Short Hairstyle Ahead of Premier League Opener

    August 23, 2026

    Tabitha Mutinda Reacts After Appointment as WSPU Kenya Chairperson

    August 23, 2026

    18-Year-Old Suspect Arrested Over Murder of 84-Year-Old Woman in Trans Nzoia

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.