A 20-year-old man drowned in a river as he tried to retrieve one of his sandals that had tripped there in Amakura area, Teso, Busia County. Police and locals said Evans Elima was crossing River Malakisi on Tuesday July 29 evening when his plastic sandal fell therein. He bent and tried to retrieve the sandal but slid and fell into the water drowning. Police said locals responded and retrieved the body. The body was later moved to Kocholia Referral Hospital mortuary, awaiting autopsy. Meanwhile, police are investigating an incident in which a woman was found dead on the roadside in…
Author: KahawaTungu Reporter
A 44-year-old man is fighting for his life in hospital after suspected bandits attacked him with an arrow in a village in Borabu, Nyamira County. The victim was attacked after he raised an alarm as an unknown number of bandits raided his home on Thursday dawn in Ensabakwa, Esise area, police said. The gang was targeting about ten cows in his compound when he confronted them while screaming for help. One of the attackers targeted him with an arrow shooting him in the chest. Police said he was taken to the local hospital in serious condition as the gang escaped…
An Ethiopian national was arrested over the murder of a fellow Ethiopian in a love triangle saga in Takaba, Mandera County. The deceased’s decomposed body was discovered in Darwed forest in the area on July 30 long after the murder. He was identified as Yusuf Ibrahim, 25. The body had been lying in the forest for more than a week. His friends said he had not been seen for a week. Police said the body had deep cuts in the back and stomach and the man was a casual worker in the area. He had gone to fetch firewood in…
Two people including a blind man aged 83 were killed in separate fire incidents in Meru and Nyeri Counties. Police said property of unknown value was destroyed in the incidents. The first incident happened in a village in Kiirua, Buuri, Meru County where a man aged 67 was killed in his house after a fire broke out. The man was on Wednesday July 30 at night watching television in his house alone when the fire broke out. His wife told police she had left the man alone in the house and walked to a neighbour’s house when the fire broke…
US authorities are warning consumers of Celsius energy drinks to check their cans after some were accidently filled with vodka. The US Food & Drug Administration (USFDA) issued the warning for the Astro Vibe Blue Razz edition of the drink. The mix-up came about after a packaging supplier mistakenly shipped empty Celsius cans to the vodka seltzer company High Noon, which filled them with alcohol. High Noon is also recalling some of its Beach Variety packs which came from the same production line. No illnesses or adverse events have been reported for the impacted products, the USFDA added. The recall…
President Donald Trump says the US will charge a 15% tariff on imports from South Korea, in what he called a “full and complete trade deal”. It comes just a day before a 1 August deadline for countries to reach agreements with the US or be hit with higher tariffs. South Korea had been facing a 25% levy if it had not struck a deal. Pressure on Seoul had been mounting after Japan, a key competitor in the car and manufacturing industries, secured a 15% tariff rate with the US this week. The deal, which will also see Seoul invest…
Social media giant Meta Platforms has says its have profits soared and is pumping billions of dollars more into artificial intelligence (AI) projects. The firm – which owns Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp – says revenue for the three months to the end of June rose 22% from the same period last year to $47.5bn (£35.86bn), while profits jumped by 36% to $18.3bn. At the same time expenses are also rising – up 12% to $27bn – as the company ploughs money into fulfilling chief executive Mark Zuckerberg’s AI ambitions, and costs are only expected to keep rising. Meta says the…
Motor industry giant Ford says it expects tariffs to cost it about $2bn (£1.5bn) this year, more than previously expected, despite building most of its cars in America. The company says it had already paid an extra $800m in duties in the three months ending in June. It also suffered losses related to cutting an electric vehicle programme. It is the latest indication of the impact of US President Donald Trump’s tariffs on major American firms and the challenges ahead as he seeks to reshape global supply chains. But Ford is seeing a less pronounced tariffs impact than some of…
Brazil thought it had gotten off lightly on the Trump tariff front. In April, US President Donald Trump announced that Brazilian goods imported to the US would face tariffs of 10% – the lowest base rate applied to most countries. Now, as the 90-day pause on those and other targeted US tariffs is set to expire, Trump has raised Brazil’s rate to a whopping 50% – potentially launching a trade war with Latin America’s biggest economy, which sells large amounts of beef, coffee, steel and other products to the United States. The announcement on Wednesday means Brazil will face one…
US President Donald Trump signed an executive order ending a global tariff exemption used by shoppers of low-cost goods. The order, signed on Wednesday, comes into force on 29 August and broadens earlier presidential action that specifically targeted cheap products from China and Hong Kong to now cover the rest of the world. The de minimis exemption had allowed goods valued at $800 or less to enter the US without paying any tariffs. US consumers relied on the exemption to buy cheap clothes and household items from online commerce sites like Shein and Temu. The White House says the global…
Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada plans to recognise a Palestinian state in September, becoming the third G7 nation to make such an announcement in recent days. Carney said the move depends on democratic reforms, including the Palestinian Authority holding elections next year without Hamas. His remarks come a day after the UK announced it would recognise a Palestinian state in September unless Israel agreed to a ceasefire and other conditions and a week after France unveiled a similar plan. Israel’s foreign ministry rejected Canada’s announcement, calling it “a reward for Hamas”. Most countries – 147 of the UN’s 193…
Former NBA star Gilbert Arenas has been arrested and charged with allegedly running an illegal, high-stakes poker ring out of his home in the Los Angeles area. Mr Arenas, 43, is charged along with five other defendants, including one Israeli man who prosecutors claim is a “suspected organized crime figure”. Prosecutors have charged him with three federal crimes, including operating an illegal gambling business and making false statements to investigators. During a court appearance on Wednesday, Mr Arenas pleaded not guilty and was released pending trial after paying a $50,000 (£38,000) bond. Prosecutors used his nickname, “Agent Zero” which he…
A former Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) officer Patrick Osoi, who was arrested on Tuesday after forming a movement with two police officers with the intention to fight police brutality, was on Wednesday arraigned at the Kahawa Law Courts. He however did not take plea. A notice of motion filed by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) said Osoi is accused of forming the group called Fighting Brutality and Impunity (FBI) alongside Jackson Kuria Kimani, alias Cop Shakur and Kimathi Hiram, and sought to recruit current and former officers to fight ‘illegal orders.’ Shakur was also arrested later on Wednesday over…
It will no longer be business as usual for drug barons and traders of adulterated alcohol as the government now shifts its enforcement focus to target assets and funds believed to be proceeds of crime. Interior and National Administration Cabinet Secretary (CS) Kipchumba Murkomen announced that the ministry will be engaging the Asset Recovery Agency at the Attorney General’s office to seize proceeds from the illicit trade. He regretted that despite the efforts put in place to rid the country of vice, especially among children and the youth, the courts have been awarding lenient fines to the suspects who secure…
The government has stepped up the fight against corruption following the presidential assent to the Conflict of Interest Bill. During the signing of the law at State House Nairobi on Wednesday, President William Ruto said the enactment of the Bill will curb the abuse of power by public officers, ensuring that public resources are used for their intended purpose. He noted that the new law sets clear rules to ensure public officers serve with integrity, transparency and accountability. He pointed out that the new legislation also gives Kenyans the opportunity to hold public officers accountable in their exercise of power.…
