Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    More than 50 dead and dozens missing after Nigeria boat sinks

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiDecember 1, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    At least 54 bodies have now been recovered from Nigeria’s River Niger after a boat, that may have been carrying more than 200 passengers, capsized in the early hours of Friday, the authorities say.

    Twenty-four of those on board were rescued, some of whom are still in hospital, but dozens of others may be missing.

    Divers are still searching the waters but hope is fading on the possibility of finding more survivors.
    This is just the latest in a long series of boat accidents on the country’s inland waterways. Despite safety recommendations being made, rules are rarely followed and few are held accountable.

    The boat was travelling from Kogi state, central Nigeria, to a weekly market in neighbouring Niger state when it went down.

    Market traders and farm labourers were thought to have been among the passengers.

    The cause of the accident is not yet known but there are indications that many of the travellers may not have been wearing life jackets as required.

    Getting accurate details about who exactly had boarded the boat is difficult because there was no record keeping, the local official in charge told the BBC.

    “The problem is that there’s no passenger manifest and because of the time the accident occurred, giving an accurate account of persons, survivors and those missing, is very difficult,” Justin Uche, who is head of the Kogi state office of the National Emergency Management Agency said.

    Meanwhile Kogi state’s governor Usman Ododo ordered all hospitals where survivors are receiving treatment to ensure that they get adequate care including food.

    He also urged stricter enforcement of safety regulations to ensure that such incidents are avoided in future.

    This is the third time a passenger boat has gone down in Nigeria in the last 60 days.

    Last month, a wooden dugout canoe, packed with nearly 300 passengers, overturned and sank in the middle of the River Niger killing nearly 200 people.

    Just last week, five people died when two boats collided in southern Nigeria’s Delta state.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Brazil’s President Lula hails oil discovery near Amazon river

    August 19, 2026

    UK ‘supports Ukraine 100%’, Burnham says, after Russia’s drone warning

    August 19, 2026

    Kanye West announces tour dates in Russia

    August 19, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Kisii on the edge: lawlessness, goons and the dark battle for succession

    August 19, 2026

    KNCHR warns Kenya risks ‘precipice’ as political violence, goonism escalate

    August 19, 2026

    Brazil’s President Lula hails oil discovery near Amazon river

    August 19, 2026

    UK ‘supports Ukraine 100%’, Burnham says, after Russia’s drone warning

    August 19, 2026

    Kanye West announces tour dates in Russia

    August 19, 2026

    US states call for big changes to Instagram and Facebook as Meta child privacy trial begins

    August 18, 2026

    10 Questions for an SEO Agency in Singapore Before Hiring Them

    August 18, 2026

    Teun Koopmeiners Siblings: Get to Know Peer Koopmeiners

    August 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.