Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Nigerian minister accused of forging qualifications resigns

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterOctober 8, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Nigeria’s Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology Uche Nnaji has resigned just days after allegations emerged that he had forged his academic credentials.

    The resignation follows a newspaper investigation that claimed Nnaji submitted falsified certificates to President Bola Tinubu during his ministerial appointment in 2023.

    Presidential spokesperson Bayo Onanuga confirmed Nnaji’s resignation in a post on X late on Tuesday, quoting the minister as saying he had been “a target of blackmail by political opponents”.

    Nnaji has denied the accusations of forgery and and has insisted that he did graduate from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) with a degree in Microbiology/Biochemistry.

    The forgery allegations have sparked outrage among some Nigerians, following a two-year investigation by the Premium Times newspaper.

    Last week, UNN reportedly told the publication that it had no records confirming that the minister had graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in 1985, as he had claimed.

    A senior university official told the paper that Nnaji was admitted in 1981 but never completed his studies or received a certificate.

    The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) also said the mandatory certificate of national service Nnaji presented in April 2023 could not be verified.

    Opposition leader Atiku Abubakar has called for an independent and transparent investigation into the matter, saying Nnaji should have been “summarily dismissed and prosecuted for deceit and falsification”.

    “Nigerians deserve to know the truth about those who preside over their lives and resources,” Abubakar posted on X.

    The suspension or removal of a minister is rare in Nigeria – Nnaji is only the second to leave office since President Tinubu assumed power in May 2023.

    Last January, the then Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation Minister Betta Edu was suspended following public outrage over a corruption scandal. At the time Dr Edu, 37, denied any wrongdoing.

    Tinubu’s predecessor, the late Muhammadu Buhari, sacked only two ministers during his eight-year tenure.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Nigeria Uche Nnaji
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say

    August 23, 2026

    Carney say Trump started trade war with fresh tarrifs ‘attack’

    August 23, 2026

    US military newspaper editor voices censorship fears after being fired

    August 23, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    I’m Not a Sponsor: Uhuru Kenyatta Hits Back at Ruto Over Opposition Claims

    August 23, 2026

    Three suspects linked to highway robberies arrested in Mtito Andei

    August 23, 2026

    (PICS) Erling Haaland Unveils New Short Hairstyle Ahead of Premier League Opener

    August 23, 2026

    Tabitha Mutinda Reacts After Appointment as WSPU Kenya Chairperson

    August 23, 2026

    18-Year-Old Suspect Arrested Over Murder of 84-Year-Old Woman in Trans Nzoia

    August 23, 2026

    Leading African Institutions, Entrepreneurs and Professionals to Be Honored in Nairobi

    August 23, 2026

    MPs Pledge Support for Expansion of Police Training Facilities Across Kenya

    August 23, 2026

    Technological Gaps, Smuggling and Cross-Border Crime Challenge Operations at Busia Border

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.