Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko was not brandishing a gun during a briefing at Riverside Drive on Wednesday morning. Straight from Mombasa, the county boss came home to a terrorist attack at the Dusit D2 Hotel complex. The deadly attack started on Tuesday at around 3 pm, and the governor was at around the same time “building bridges” between Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho and his opponent Suleiman Shahbal. He received flak for being clueless about the goings on in his city from Kenyans online. During the media briefing led by Interior CS Fred Matiang’i outside the crime scene, Sonko looked…
Author: Eva Nyambura
DCI Boss George Kinoti has confirmed that the two suspects have been arrested in connection to the Dusit D2 attack on 14 Riverside drive. The suspects were arrested separately in Eastleigh and Ruaka where each of them resides, in connection with the Dusit D2 attack. A house in Guango estate in Ruaka has been cordoned off after suspects are said to have resided in the place a few months prior to the attack. Police were alerted on the Ruaka apartment by a neighbour who recognized the car that was used by the attackers. The attacker had created a hole in…
American CEO and Global Managing Director of I-DEV International, Jason Spindler, who had a company located at Metta, located at the Dusit D2 Complex sadly passed away during the attack which happened from Tuesday afternoon. The Metta Africa Head of Community, memberships and operations Essie Mwikali confirmed that there had been 45 people at the space when the attack happened. She says that all the people have been accounted for except Jason Spindler who unfortunately lost his life. Jason’s family have confirmed that he was among the fire fighters during the 911 attack and survived it. Read: Dusit D2 Attackers Car Branded…
Former Starehe MP aspirant Steve Mbogo was on Wednesday taken in for questioning after an image of him holding an automatic rifle outside the Dusit D2 Hotel went viral. Mbogo who was contesting on an ODM party ticket is being held at the Nairobi Area police station. Speaking to eDaily, the businessman confirmed being picked up by the police from his Karen home and was going through the process of “verifying ownership of guns.” “They asked me to come and verify the ownership of my guns. We’re currently going through that process at the station. Hopefully, we’ll be done with…
A bodyguard attached to a prominent cabinet secretary was arrested after losing his gun while off duty. The bodyguard, name withheld works for Agriculture CS Mwangi Kiunjuri. He is said to have lost his Ceska pistol and 12 bullets. He lost the government issued property on Monday while drinking at a joint in Nairobi’s Highrise area. The officer only realized that he had lost his gun upon arriving at his home at the Uhuru SGB (security of government buildings) later that evening. He has since been arrested and set to appear in court where he will face charges of failing to…
Police have closed off Guango estate in Rwaka after it emerged that the vehicle used in the Dusit D2 attack was spotted in the estate several times. Neighbors revealed that the owner of the vehicle, KCN 340E, moved to the house in March last year and has been staying in house number E9. Neighbors say that they are now living in fear as they did not expect to see one of their neighbors associated with the attack. Read: Al Shabaab Extremists Claim Responsibility For Riverside Drive Attack Witnesses say that they have seen him around as he always wears a T-Shirt…
Car used by Dusit D2 Hotel complex attackers was registered to a Cynkim Investment Company Limited on October 13, 2017. This is according to NTSA motor vehicle records. https://twitter.com/RobertAlai/status/1085438980114579457 The terrorists who President Uhuru Kenyatta has confirmed are dead, used the Toyota Ractis KCN 340E as they opened fire at around 3 pm at the complex. On December 15 the same car was taken to a branding company, 23 Marketing Concepts where a skull with a gas mask sticker was installed. View this post on Instagram Swipe to see the results #vehiclebranding A post shared by 23 Marketing…
An NHIF driver has been shot at the Bandari Plaza rooftop, Westlands. The shot is suspected to have come from a sniper bullet from the Dusit D2 Hotel complex. Those working within Westlands are advised to stay away from open spaces with clear line of sight or facing the besieged building. So far 15 people have been confirmed dead and their remains being collected at the Chiromo Mortuary. Moments ago there was heavy gunfire from the hotel complex as security personnel close in on the two remaining attackers. Read: Dusit D2 Attack Could Be A Terror Attack – IG Boinnet…
15 people have been confirmed dead, Chiromo Mortuary attendants have said. According to reports, at least fifteen bodies have been received at the mortuary that is closest to the Dusit D2 Hotel that is still under attack. Multi agency security personnel overnight evacuated at least 174 people even as the gunmen remain holed up on the seventh floor of the hotel. There was heavy gunfire at around 6 am this morning, as the police close in on the armed criminals who are apparently at the complex gymnasium. Read: Dusit D2 Attack Could Be A Terror Attack – IG Boinnet Interior CS…
The Dusit D2 Complex attack has rocked the country with many wondering how the Al Shabaab managed to attack an area that is barely less than 5 kilometers from State House, Nairobi. Photos and footage from CCTV’s manning the Dusit complex perimeter show that the attackers were heavily armed and dressed in combat gear. They arrived in two vehicles, one of them left outside and another one detonated in the parking lot. One of the photos even show a clear picture of one of the attackers. A few minutes after 3 PM, armed terrorists forced their way into Dusit D2…
Interior CS Fred Matiang’i has condemned the “heinous act” that was witnessed today at 14 Riverside Drive. “I condemn in the strongest terms the cowardly and heinous acts we witnessed in Nairobi today,” he said. Speaking from Harambee House, the CS asked Kenyans to resume their duties as the country is secure. “We have secured all the buildings that had been affected. The situation is under control and the country is safe. Terrorism will never defeat us. We will not surrender or bend,” he added. Mr Matiang’i also noted that security officers at the scene of incident have secured all…
The New York Times is on the receiving end after publishing insensitive images from the Dusit D2 attack on 14 Riverside Drive, Nairobi. Different images from Getty Images and The Associated Press were used in an article done by the Incoming East Africa Bureau Chief for the New York Times, Kimiko de Freytas-Tamura,giving a run down of the events at the area. Netizens were not pleased as it was out of taste for the New York Times to publish photos of dead bodies from the attack venue. Former NTV business editor Wallace Kantai and Larry Madowo have condemned the published…
Former Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale has confirmed that his daughter is still trapped inside the building of the Dusit Complex. https://twitter.com/KBonimtetezi/status/1085219221406212103 Rescue operations have been ongoing since 3PM when security personnel arrived at the grounds. Controversial singer Willy Paul also confirmed that he was around the Dusit D2 complex when the attack started on Tuesday afternoon at around 3PM. The singer narrates that he was attending a meeting in the opposite building when he heard a loud bang followed by gun shots. Willy Paul thanks God for making it out safely, after the huge explosion and continuous gunshots being made…
Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet has urged Kenyans to refrain from sharing images from the Dusit D2 attack. The IG noted that those sympathizing with the criminals have “taken to social media to share images that are not from the today’s attack.” Earlier on he said the 3pm attack could have been a terror attack but now says it was a well coordinated attack that started at the I&M Bank. There was a suicide bomber at the foyer of the hotel, he added. In the briefing, the police boss said that six of the 7 floors of the building…
Repentance and Holiness Ministries followers claim that God is angry with Kenyans hence the attack at Dusit D2 Hotel, 14 Riverside Drive earlier today. According to a WhatsApp message seen by Kahawa Tungu from one of Prophet David Owuor’s followers, God is angry with Kenyans who have been attacking the “man of god” both online and offline. There has been a trending hashtag on Twitter, #NTVfakeNewsAgain, putting on blast the media house for allegedly spreading fake news about a Muslim teenage girl identified as Khadija who after joining Owuor’s church. The girl, NTV reported went missing shortly after abandoning the…
