TikTok’s efforts to stop children using the app and protect their personal data have been inadequate, a Canadian investigation has found. Hundreds of thousands of children in the country use TikTok each year despite the firm saying it is not intended for people under the age of 13, according to the findings. The investigation also found TikTok had collected sensitive personal information from “a large number” of Canadian children and used it for online marketing and content targeting. TikTok told the BBC that it will introduce a number of measures to “strengthen our platform for Canadians” although it disputes some…
Author: KahawaTungu Reporter
Even presidents are subject to the annoyances of New York City traffic, as French President Emmanuel Macron learned late on Monday, when a New York City police officer stopped him crossing the street because of U.S. President Donald Trump’s motorcade. But unlike most of those inconvenienced, Macron then rang Trump personally from the sidewalk to joke about his plight, according to a video clip circulating on social media. “I’m sorry, Mister President, I’m really sorry,” a clearly embarrassed police officer told Macron who was trying to cross the street with members of his delegation. “It’s just that everything’s been frozen…
Kenya’s sterling performance at the 2025 World Athletics Championships in Tokyo dominated debate in the National Assembly, with Members of Parliament across the political divide hailing the athletes for once again flying the country’s flag high on the global stage. The legislators, who took turns to congratulate Team Kenya, praised the athletes for clinching 11 medals, one of the nation’s best tallies in the competition’s history. They lauded the team for reaffirming Kenya’s status as Africa’s athletics powerhouse and a global sporting giant. Led by Nandi County Woman Representative Cynthia Muge, the MPs described the achievement as a moment of…
The US Secret Service disrupted a network of telecommunications devices that could have shut down cellular systems as leaders gather for the United Nations General Assembly in New York City. The agency said on Tuesday that last month it found more than 300 SIM servers and 100,000 SIM cards that could have been used for telecom attacks within the area encompassing parts of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. “This network had the power to disable cell phone towers and essentially shut down the cellular network in New York City,” said special agent in charge Matt McCool. The devices were…
Access Bank (Kenya) PLC and National Bank of Kenya (NBK) have introduced a strategic service integration that will allow customers of either institution to access selected in-branch services seamlessly across both banks. The collaboration, which forms part of the ongoing integration process between the two lenders, enables tellers across the combined branch network to process core transactions, including account inquiries, cash deposits and withdrawals, and fund transfers. The move effectively expands convenience for customers, creating a combined footprint of more than 100 branches countrywide. Both banks assured customers that existing accounts, cards, cheque books, and digital platforms remain valid, and…
The United States assured Kenya of its continued support across key sectors, pledging to deepen the long-standing partnership between the two nations despite shifting global geopolitical dynamics. US Chargé d’Affaires Susan Burns delivered the assurance during a courtesy call on the Speaker of the National Assembly Moses Wetang’ula, on Monday. Burns commended Kenya for its leading role in promoting global peace, singling out its intervention in Haiti as a demonstration of international responsibility. “Kenya deserves immense credit for what it has done,” Burns stated. “The Haiti matter will be top of the agenda this week during the UN General Assembly.…
Money remittance start-up Bonto Kenya closed operations less than three years after its launch, just eight months after securing a license from the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK). Founded in December 2022 by Cambridge and Harvard graduate Yoann Copreaux, the fintech exited the market, citing unsustainable foreign exchange margins. “Breakeven scale became unrealistic, remittance fees were low to non-existent, and compliance requirements kept increasing,” Copreaux wrote on LinkedIn on Monday. He added that limited product options made it harder to compete. The firm had explored selling its licence, approaching more than 50 fintechs and receiving five offers. However, Copreaux said…
Eight police officers from Maseno police station, Kisumu County were arrested in connection with alleged theft of a motor vehicle. The eight officers were detained at the Kisumu Central Police Station cells on September 22, 2025, pending further interrogation and possible arraignment. According to the police, the officers are accused of stealing a Toyota Land Cruiser from the Maseno police station parking yard. The vehicle had earlier been recovered while abandoned at Maseno shopping centre on September 10, 2025. However, it later went missing from the station with the eight officers accused of being behind its mysterious disappearance. DCI officers…
A prosecution witness on Tuesday painted a chilling picture of how controversial preacher Paul Mackenzie allegedly twisted scripture to lure his followers into a deadly fast. Testifying before Shanzu Law Courts Principal Magistrate Leah Juma, the witness recounted how Mackenzie repeatedly cited a passage from the Book of Revelation, chapter 13, verse 11, about a pregnant woman hidden in the wilderness for 1,260 days to escape a seven-headed dragon. According to the witness, Mackenzie gave the ancient text a dangerous, self-serving meaning. In his sermons, the preacher is said to have taught that the seven-headed dragon represented Satan and his…
Detectives are hunting for a man who slashed and killed his son in an incident in Kawatut village, Kolowa, Baringo County. Police said the man was armed with a panga when he attacked and killed the three-year-old boy. He slashed him in the head, neck, and chest, killing him instantly. He escaped the scene as the mother of the child screamed for help. Police said they visited the scene and collected the body for an autopsy. The motive of the murder was not immediately established, police said of the September 21 incident. Police said they are investigating murder in the…
Tragedy struck a training team when one of their football players died after he had been hit by a ball in the chest at the Loreto Girls’ High School playing ground, Kiambu County. The 14-year-old boy was among a group that was training for a football team of under-17s when he was struck by a ball in the chest and developed sudden breathing challenges, police and witnesses said. Eugene Mwangi was a grade nine pupil at Limuru Mission Primary School. He was rushed to Tigoni Level Four hospital for medical attention, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Witnesses said…
Four students at the Maseno University in Kisumu were slashed and injured in a robbery incident outside their hostel, police said. The four were on Monday, September 22, 2025, night attacked by men riding on a motorcycle and armed with pangas and left with serious cuts. They were walking along Imani Hostel near the university when they were attacked, police said. Police said two assailants armed with pangas and riding on a motorcycle attacked the four male students before robbing them of their mobile phones. They sustained head injuries. Police said they are pursuing the attackers and that the four…
Authorities are hunting for a convict who escaped from lawful custody in Kamiti Medium Prisons, Nairobi. Kelvin Sifuna escaped from custody on Monday September 22, 2025 as he and other prisoners were busy working at a school compound while under guard of prison warders. Officials said he was on fatigue duties at a local school’s quarters when the incident happened. The circumstances surrounding the escape were not immediately established. He had been committed to serve seven years in prison for stealing a motor vehicle after his arrest in 2023. He was sentenced on October 9, 2024 by a Kibera Court,…
A 32-year-old woman was found dead after her murder in Sealock area, Narok Town. Police said the body of Mercy Cherono Mutai was found lying naked along Nyawira Road long after her murder on September 22, 2025. The motive of the murder was not established. The body was found about 50 meters from her rented house, police said as they moved the body to the mortuary pending autopsy. The body did not have any visible injuries when it was discovered, police said. The woman had earlier on Sunday been seen at a local shopping centre and the husband said she…
Former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte has been charged with crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court (ICC). The 80-year-old is accused of being criminally responsible for dozens of murders that allegedly took place as part of his so-called war on drugs, during which thousands of small-time drug dealers, users and others were killed without trial. The ICC’s charge sheet, which includes several redactions, dates from July but was only made public on Monday. ICC deputy prosecutor Mame Mandiaye Niang said Duterte was an “indirect co-perpetrator” in the killings, which the court alleges were carried out by others, including police.…
