Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    CRIME

    Drama as goons attempt to free murder suspect in Narok

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiJune 2, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    There was drama at the Narok Law Courts when anti-riot police fired warning shots and tear gas canisters to disperse a group of about 400 morans who allegedly attempted to forcefully free a businessman and politician facing murder charges.

    The suspect, David Matuke Ole Mayone, was arraigned over the alleged killing of a man in Majimoto and for reportedly opening fire on police officers during the incident.

    Early in the morning, dozens of Mayone’s supporters gathered outside the courthouse carrying placards demanding his release. Security was heightened, with heavily armed police officers deployed both inside and outside the court premises to maintain order.

    Appearing before Principal Magistrate Esther Mwikali Mutuku, Mayone, through his lawyer, did not take a plea but applied to be released on bond pending the completion of investigations.

    The defence argued that bond was a constitutional right and that there were no compelling reasons to continue detaining the suspect. However, the court rejected the application.

    Magistrate Mutuku ordered that Mayone undergo a mental assessment before being remanded in custody.
    She directed that he remain in custody until next Thursday, when he is expected to return to court for further proceedings.

    Tension escalated shortly after the court session when the suspect was being escorted to the holding cells. His supporters allegedly attempted to snatch him from police custody, prompting officers to intervene.

    The confrontation quickly turned chaotic, forcing anti-riot police to fire in the air and lob tear gas canisters to disperse the crowd. The standoff lasted nearly 20 minutes before the morans retreated, allowing officers to safely transfer the suspect to Narok Prison.

    Meanwhile, a middle-aged woman was arraigned before Principal Magistrate Irene Thamara at the Milimani Law Courts and charged with preparation to commit a felony contrary to Section 308(1) of the Penal Code.

    Lavender Akinyi Ogilo appeared in court on June 2, 2026, where she denied the charge. The prosecution opposed her release on bail, describing her as a flight risk and a serial offender.

    According to the prosecution, Ogilo was arrested on May 31, 2026, along 1st Parklands Avenue in Westlands, Nairobi, while in the company of other individuals who were not presented before the court.
    The State alleged that she was found in possession of housebreaking implements, including crowbars, assorted screwdrivers and a Y-spanner, under circumstances suggesting an intention to break into a building and commit a felony.

    In opposing bail, the investigating officer told the court that several complaints had been lodged against the accused at various police stations, including Kilimani, Gigiri, Parklands and Spring Valley.

    The officer said the reports relate to offences that are still under investigation, including burglary, stealing and breaking into premises.

    The prosecution further claimed that Ogilo fled the scene after the alleged attempted offence and alerted her accomplices before going into hiding.

    The court heard that the suspect was later traced in Tanzania and allegedly fled to Uganda after learning that police officers were pursuing her.

    According to the investigating officer, releasing the accused on bail could jeopardise ongoing investigations and efforts to recover property believed to have been stolen in connection with the reported offences.

    The prosecution argued that the recovery process is still underway and that her release could interfere with the exercise.

    The court also heard that the accused has no known fixed place of residence and is therefore likely to abscond if granted bail.

    Thamara is expected to deliver a ruling on the bail application on June 3, 2026.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Two including cop die, 46 injured, 6 cars torched during Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay Town

    August 17, 2026

    Kang’ata condemns violence against Linda Mwananchi in Homa Bay, demands action

    August 17, 2026

    Man dies after fight at Kisumu motel

    August 17, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Matiang’i: President Ruto ‘had knowledge’ of Homa Bay violence

    August 17, 2026

    Two including cop die, 46 injured, 6 cars torched during Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay Town

    August 17, 2026

    Denzel Dumfries Siblings: All About Demelza, Daniëlle and Donovan

    August 17, 2026

    Micky van de Ven Siblings: Getting to Know Caya van de Ven

    August 17, 2026

    Guus Til Siblings: Meet Klaartje, Daan and Kees

    August 17, 2026

    Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote

    August 17, 2026

    Kakuzi Expands Use of AI, Digital Technology to Boost Climate-Smart Farming

    August 17, 2026

    Ruth Odinga warns of threat to democracy after Homa Bay violence

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.