Tension briefly flared at a burial ceremony in Borabu on Friday after Inject Party leader Morara Kebaso confronted area MP Patrick Osero over alleged corruption, triggering a heated exchange that nearly turned physical.
The confrontation unfolded before mourners after Kebaso, who had been invited by the MP to address the gathering, used his one-minute speech to question Osero over the alleged misuse of public resources and demand accountability for taxpayer-funded projects.
Kebaso accused the legislator of failing to prioritise critical development needs in the constituency and challenged him to explain how public funds had been utilised.
The situation escalated after the activist criticised the distribution of spotlights to residents, questioning the rationale behind spending public money on the devices to help residents monitor livestock at night instead of investing in long-term development projects.
Witnesses said a group of youths moved toward Kebaso in what appeared to be an attempt to confront him. In the ensuing commotion, security personnel accompanying the activist were seen restraining individuals associated with the MP, preventing the altercation from escalating.
The disruption forced Kebaso to cut short his remarks and leave the funeral venue.
By the time of publication, MP Osero had not publicly responded to the allegations raised against him.
Earlier in the day, while addressing residents in Kisii town, Kebaso criticised what he described as the MP’s misplaced development priorities, arguing that public funds were being channelled into projects with little impact on residents’ lives.
The activist, who is positioning himself to challenge Osero for the Borabu parliamentary seat, also questioned an alleged discrepancy involving a tree-planting project at Mwongori Primary School.
He claimed that only five trees had been planted despite audit reports indicating that more than Sh6 million had been allocated for the initiative.
“The audit report raises troubling questions. The figures and what is on the ground do not appear to match, and Kenyans deserve accountability on how public funds are spent,” Kebaso said.
He further argued that the findings pointed to possible misuse of public resources and called for a full explanation on the utilisation of development funds.
Kebaso also criticised the spotlight distribution programme, maintaining that leaders should prioritise projects that create lasting economic opportunities and improve livelihoods.
“Instead of investing in projects that transform people’s lives, we are seeing resources spent on initiatives that do not offer lasting solutions,” he said.
His remarks come amid growing public scrutiny over the management of constituency development funds and increasing calls for transparency and accountability in the implementation of public projects.
Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

