Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Drone attack caused fire on gas ships at Mediterranean port, Egypt says

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiJuly 30, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Drone attack caused fire on gas ships at Mediterranean port, Egypt says
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Egypt’s cabinet has confirmed that a drone attack caused the fire that broke out on Wednesday on two ships at the Mediterranean port of Damietta, a key liquified natural gas (LNG) hub. “No party has claimed responsibility,” a statement said, adding that authorities were continuing to investigate the incident and “take the necessary measures to preserve Egypt’s interests and national security”.

    The drone reportedly hit a US-owned floating storage and regasification vessel, Energos Winter, sparking a blaze that spread to a Greek-owned LNG tanker, GasLog Salem.

    Verified videos posted on social media showed clouds of black smoke rising from the port and tugboats hosing down the ships with water.

    The fires were extinguished and no casualties were reported by Egyptian authorities, who said the port was continuing to operate at full capacity on Thursday.

    Energos Winter and GasLog Salem left the port and moved offshore following the incident, according to ship tracking data.

    It is not clear where the drone was launched or who was behind the attack.

    However, Iranian forces and Iranian-backed armed groups have carried out similar attacks on tankers in the Gulf and Red Sea as well as energy infrastructure in several Arab states during the US and Israel’s war with Iran, disrupting global trade and causing oil prices to soar.

    Egypt – a US ally – has so far not been directly attacked by Iran.

    US President Donald Trump told reporters on Wednesday that he had been briefed on what happened in Damietta and implied that Iran or its proxies were responsible.

    “It’s a little more of the same. But it’s going to be straightening out,” he said.

    The Damietta attack came hours after the US and Saudi Arabia carried out joint air strikes on Iran-backed armed groups in Iraq that they said had attacked Saudi oil facilities with drones 30 times in recent days at the direction of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

    Iraq’s paramilitary Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF), which is dominated by Iran-backed Shia militias, said at least 20 of its members were killed in the strikes, which they called an “extremely serious escalation”.

    Iran’s foreign ministry also condemned the strikes and warned of “dangerous consequences”.

    On Wednesday night, the US carried out what it described as a “heavy wave of strikes” on Iran in response to an attempted “surprise” missile attack on US military facilities in Jordan.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Paredes Gets 10-Match Ban; Argentina Forced to Play in Half-Empty Stadium

    August 21, 2026

    Eight killed in plane crash at remote Alaskan military site, air force says

    August 21, 2026

    Two Mexicans arrested as police uncover big meth lab on South African farm

    August 21, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Paredes Gets 10-Match Ban; Argentina Forced to Play in Half-Empty Stadium

    August 21, 2026

    Eight killed in plane crash at remote Alaskan military site, air force says

    August 21, 2026

    Two Mexicans arrested as police uncover big meth lab on South African farm

    August 21, 2026

    Tanzania court rules opposition leader has case to answer in treason trial

    August 21, 2026

    KNH tells non-emergency patients to seek care elsewhere amid congestion

    August 21, 2026

    Gachagua declines NCIC summons, cites US trip

    August 21, 2026

    Panama Canal to cut number of ships passing through due to El Niño

    August 21, 2026

    Hong Kong’s Tiananmen activists convicted in national security trial

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.