Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    HEALTH

    Health Ministry Refutes Claims Of Unpaid Billions To Faith-Based Hospitals

    David WafulaBy David WafulaNovember 14, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Ministry of Health has disputed claims made by the Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops that the government owes billions to Faith-Based Organization (FBO) hospitals.

    Health Cabinet Secretary Deborah Barasa, in a statement on Thursday, called the allegations “misleading, erroneous, and false.”

    CS Barasa clarified that as of October 4, 2024, the now-defunct NHIF owed Sh19 billion to various healthcare providers—debts that had accumulated over a period of more than ten years.

    She stated that the government is committed to clearing these debts, having already mobilized Sh7.58 billion in the last month.

    “The government is fully committed to settle these historical debts and consequently in the last one month, Sh7.58 billion was mobilized to pay these debts,” she said.

    The Ministry explained that the new Social Health Authority (SHA) has recently disbursed over Sh5 billion to healthcare providers, including Sh9 billion allocated to FBO-operated health facilities, many of which are run by the Catholic Church. The remaining Sh2.5 billion is expected to be paid by next week.

    Earlier, the bishops had expressed concerns about overdue payments to FBO hospitals, with their chair, Maurice Muhatia, noting that the delay affects essential services provided to vulnerable communities.

    Also Read: Kenya’s Catholic Bishops Criticize Ruto’s Government For Culture Of Lies, Urge Integrity

    “When the government fails to fulfil its promises, particularly concerning payments to essential service providers, it harms vulnerable communities. This is the case with NHIF. The neglect of Fiath-Based Organizations (FBO) hospitals, now owed billions in dues, is an issue we have addressed constantly even with the president,” the clergies chair Maurice Muhatia said.

    Kenya's Catholic Bishops Criticize Ruto's Government For Culture Of Lies, Urge Integrity

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    David Wafula

    Related Posts

    SHA disburses second batch of payments for pending NHIF claims

    August 15, 2026

    Botox, Balance, and Body Confidence: Inside the Wellness Revolution for Women Over 30

    August 13, 2026

    Duale clarifies Sh6.4 million mandatory travel health insurance requirement for visitors entering Kenya

    August 7, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Former CJ Maraga gives Ruto seven days to release Police Reform Taskforce Report

    August 18, 2026

    Businesses Petition National Assembly for Nationwide Public Participation on Tobacco Control (Amendment) Bill

    August 18, 2026

    KSA announces mass recruitment

    August 18, 2026

    KNH, KUTRRH advertise job opportunities; here’s how to apply

    August 18, 2026

    Govt Opens Applications for Presidential Digital Talent Program Cohort XI

    August 18, 2026

    EPRA advertises Director General position

    August 18, 2026

    Sharon Otieno family seeks compensation after eight-year court battle in Obado murder trial

    August 18, 2026

    Obado seeks lenient sentence, citing age, health and lengthy trial

    August 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.