Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    SPORTS

    Everton docked two more points for second breach of football finance rules

    KahawaTungu EditorBy KahawaTungu EditorApril 8, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Everton have been docked two more points by the Premier League – their second points deduction this season – after the club’s appeal against a breach of profitability and sustainability rules (PSR) was unsuccessful, the league says.

    The deduction, announced on Monday, leaves Everton in 16th place on 27 points, two above the relegation zone.

    “The independent commission heard evidence and arguments from the club on a range of potential mitigating factors for its admitted breach of 16.6 million pounds [$21m], including the impact of its two successive PSR charges,” the league said.

    “The commission determined the appropriate sanction to be a two-point deduction, taking effect immediately,” it said in a statement.

    Everton said it planned to appeal again.

    “The club and its legal representatives have begun the preparations to appeal the commission’s decision,” it said.

    “Everton remains committed to working collaboratively with the League on all matters relating to PSR but is extremely concerned by the inconsistency of different commissions in respect of points deductions applied.”

    The club was charged in January for violations of the Premier League’s PSR in their financial records for a period beginning in 2019-20 and ending in 2022-23.

    According to Premier League guidelines, clubs are at risk of breaching PSR if they incur more than 105 million pounds ($133m) in losses over three seasons, or 35 million pounds ($44m) annually.

    Also Read: Liverpool miss chance to go top after draw with Man United

    The club previously admitted to a PSR breach for the assessment period ending with the 2021-22 season, having incurred 124.5 million pounds ($157m) in losses in that period, according to the independent commission.

    The Merseyside club were penalized for the first breach with a deduction of 10 points in November. After an appeal, they had that penalty reduced to six points.

    In a statement in January, Everton pointed out that the first charge already covered 75 percent of the time period of their second breach, for which they had already been sanctioned.

    Last year, treble winners Manchester City were referred to an independent commission over more than 100 alleged breaches of finance rules, but no verdict has been reached in that case. City have denied any wrongdoing.

    Everton said the Premier League did not have “a mechanism to prevent a club from being sanctioned again for breaches in financial periods that have already been subject to punishment”.

    On March 31, the Merseyside club posted a loss of 89.1 million pounds ($113m) for the 2022-23 season.

    While Everton were the first club to be docked points for breaching PSR, Nottingham Forest were plunged into the relegation zone this month after having four points deducted for breaking financial rules last season.

    Forest are 17th with 25 points, having played one game more than Everton, and are ahead of Luton Town in 18th place on goal difference.

    By Agencies.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Everton FFP ManCity Premier League
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Editor

    Related Posts

    Youth in Mathare Shine Through Community Football Initiative

    May 19, 2026

    Man City preparing for Guardiola departure

    May 19, 2026

    PS Omollo Gives Update on Ithookwe Stadium Construction in Kitui

    May 17, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Public Transport Operators Suspend Nationwide Strike

    May 19, 2026

    Kenya honored at World Health Assembly for eliminating sleeping sickness

    May 19, 2026

    Kindiki Defends Fuel Pricing Formula as Govt Rules Out Deeper Cuts Beyond Sh10 Reduction

    May 19, 2026

    LSK says OCS mandated to release suspects in custody

    May 19, 2026

    LSK, Police Reforms Group Condemn Arrest of Nairobi Police Commander Over Release of Protesters

    May 19, 2026

    Nairobi CBD Calm as Police Respond to Blockades Along Thika and Kamiti Roads Amid Fuel Protest

    May 19, 2026

    KMPDU Condemns Violence at Naivasha Hospital

    May 19, 2026

    Carrie Bickmore Net Worth

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.